SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:59:53 -0500
Ioannis,

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> I am new to SL and do not know much about it, so sorry if this is a naive question. As far
> as I know the point releases are the main release with all errata integrated, so what is
> the point of "upgrading to 4.1 from 4", and what else gets upgraded than the already
> installed errata.

They really are the RHEL Updates that the Upstream Vendor puts out about
quarterly.  So they contain the security errata as you described but also
all of the updated rpms that are part of the Upstream Vendor Update.
These normally consist of bugfix rpms and or new feature rpms.  You need
to read the Upstream Vendor Release notes to determine what they changed.
These are located in the SL.documentation directory on the cd's or the ftp
site and in /usr/share/doc/sl-release-4.?/ after a installation.

-Connie Sieh