SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:42:37 -0500
Robert,

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Robert Haines wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen some vague references to SL30rolling and SL40rolling both on
> the web and on this list. I gather that packages go in these
> repositories if they fall somewhere between releases (while testing them
> and so on), is this right?

You guess right,  rolling as in "moving".  What you see today is may not
be what you see tomorrow.

> Do (can?) people use the rolling repos to gradually move between
> releases (albeit carefully)? For example, I have SL4.0 on my desktop but
> would like to use 4.1 when it arrives. If I use the 40rolling repo
> instead of the 4.0 one will this be what I achieve?

Maybe.  Rolling releases should NOT be used for PRODUCTION.  You have to
define what PRODUCTION means to you.  Also since these releases are test
releases some things may not work as well as hoped.  So you have to be a
user that "can handle" these situations.

Most users should just wait for the "real" release.

> If I have completely the wrong end of the stick, please could you tell
> me what the rolling repos are for!

You got it right.

> Thank you,
> Rob