SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2015 09:41:01 +0100
On 04/02/15 01:09, hansel wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> Is it just X11 freezing or do the virtual consoles stop responding to
>> keyboard inp‎ut as well?
>
> X11 freezes. When it does, I cannot switch to a virtual console, though
> at least once, could log in from another machine, while a program ran
> successfully in a virtual console.
>
>> From: Phil Wyett
>>
>> Could you indicate:
>>
>> * Which version of SL you are running?
>> * Kernel you are running?
>> * Graphics hardware?
>> * CPU?
>
> SL 7
> Kernel versions 3.10.0-13.13.2.el7.X86_64 AND
>                 3.10.0-123.el7.X86_64
> Both behave similarly.
> Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 610
> CPU: 2x E5-1650 v2 3.5GHz

I've experienced the same issue on my old ThinkPad T61p with an older
nvidia chipset.  When I installed the ugly closed source drivers from
nvidia (via elrepo, iirc), SL7 began to behave nicely again.  However,
it seems plymouth gets cranky with those drivers and it freezes when it
asks for the harddrive decryption passwords.  So I removed 'rhgb' from
the kernel command line, and it behaves somewhat more predictable.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth