SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2015

From:
Dirk Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirk Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:05:31 +0200
Hello,

> 1 GB should be enough to at least do the basic SL7 installation.

Several attempts were made on a 1GB (RAM) machine, which failed. The symptoms
were: black screen (first time, after coming back from "installation
coffee"), then more precisely watching a slowdown during the installation of
LibreOffice until screen blocked and mouse pointer still moving, finally with
the "minimal" (probably what you call "basic") installation it crashed in
another package install.

Things went smoothly on 2GB RAM machine then.

Back to the original thread:

>> I see. I think these are sufficiently known and understood in this case. At
>> least there was no difference noticed in the unsuccessfull compared to the
>> successful installation.
>
> I assume you mean "not  other differenice than the disk partitioning
> was noticed".

Yes, only observations reported.

But I think that is clear now.

> And above, you said "fdisk", which is vary much not the same as gparted?

My (misleading) convention is fdisk(8) for exactly the command, while "fdisk"
is "something to partition a disk on Lin or Win".

>>> Was a label needed and added?
>>
>> Will have to ask (Monday).

And the answer is no, unless [g]parted(8) does it implicetely (like erase by
fill with whitespace).

> My strong working theory is that you've encountered a variant of the LVM
> problems I mentioned.

This is plausible indeed. However it may take a while to fall exactly in the
same case of proplematic previous LVM on a recycled disk. If the
 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<newdisk> [...]
helps, I think it should be made by the installer just before
erasing/formatting a disk, shouldn't it? (I guess, this suggestion might have
to go to RedHat. But how?)

Cheers
 									Dirk