SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2015 22:40:51 -0800
My university IT department, external to any academic or research unit,
has made the arbitrary decision to force us to use a Microsoft Office365
external distributed proprietary (cloud) service for official university
email.  Although this service nominally supports IETF SMTP and IMAP
protocols, it is abysmally slow when so doing. The campus IT
spokesperson has explained that only a client compliant with Microsoft
ActiveSync will fully function with this imposed proprietary closed
system service -- translation:  if one wants reasonable speed in email,
use an ActiveSync client -- probably from Microsoft.

Is there any such client (Microsoft or otherwise) available for Linux,
and in particular, SL 7?  All that I found on the web is to use
proprietary Microsoft Outlook under a MS Windows environment under a
virtual machine (e.g., VirtualBox) under Linux -- not a solution I want
for regular email service.

For anyone currently using (by force or choice) Microsoft ActiveSync,
does it in fact support the functionality of IMAP and SMTP without
staying completely with a Microsoft proprietary environment, including
Microsoft proprietary software applications?

Yasha Karant