SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:05:42 -0500
On 04/27/2011 02:51 PM, Troy J Dawson wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 11:12 AM, James E. Davies wrote:
>> If anyone has the time, please can they post some advice on whether
>> SL6 site/spin building would work for me in the following context:
>>
>> I have a task that is on-going (like perpetual) meteorological data
>> processing.  I know what tools I need/don't need for this system.
>> I'd like to build a system based on SL6 - which includes standard
>> repository stuff plus a mix of my own code and non-repository tarball
>> type installs (both binary and make from src) - then to build a
>> distribution that somehow includes all this stuff.
>>
>> The aim is to have a distribution (as DVD-iso) to install on other
>> machines (and that I can send to colleagues) without having to go
>> through the hassle of finding and installing the "extras".
>>
>> Does this sound like what SL6 site- (now called "spin-") building is
>> for?  Am I on the right track - or is there a simpler/smarter way?  I
>> thought about gentoo and its system makefile type approach - but I
>> don't think I want the bother of building absolutely everything - and
>> I am quite sure my colleagues don't.
>>

> To me, what you want to do sounds exactly what SL Spins (or Sites) are
> for.  It sounds like you have already found the "How to build a site"
> webpage for SL6.
> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/sites
>
> I have gotten very little feedback on that page, so if you need
> something clarified, please let me know.

OK, so my mind got to thinking of things.

Just because something is on the Installation DVD, that doesn't mean it
automatically get's installed.
There are two ways to have the packages you added automatically get
installed.

1 - Change the comps.xml file, either the main SL one, or make one for
your smaller repository that just has your own stuff.  Put the "extras"
you want  to be installed all the time in the "Base" or even the "Core"
group.
That way, no matter what they pick, they will get your "extras"

2 - You can make the Install DVD so that it will force the installer to
use your kickstart file.  That way they will get the same set of
packages that you selected for them.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group