SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:39:52 +1000
Hi Troy,

> Troy Dawson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > My machine currently has 2 regular hard drives.  One of the hard drives
> > started going bad, so I needed to replace it.
> > The motherboard does SATA, so I figured I'd get a SATA drive since
> > they've come down in price.  I got a nice 320 Gig drive from seagate,
> > put it into the machine and ... windows doesn't see it.
> > Linux see's it just fine, so I partitioned it in the linux side for
> > windows because windows often has a hard time with blank drives, but no
> > luck.
> > My motherboard has two SATA controllers.  One is VIA, and the other is a
> > Promise Fasttrack.  I have tried putting the drive on both controllers.
> >  I've put on the drivers from my motherboard CD.  Still nothing.
> > The only indication I get that something is on there is the VIA comes
> > with a RAID confuration program.  It shows the drive, even gives lots of
> > details, but Windows just won't do anything with it.
> > Oh, and when the drive was on the promise controller, I tried it doing
> > RAID and doing the Plain IDE.  Neither worked.
> > Oh, this is Windows XP, if that's important.
> > I guess if I can't get it to see the drive, I'll just use the whole
> > drive for Linux and forget about my Windows.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Troy
> >
> > p.s. Yes, this currently is happening to me, I'm not making this up.
> > p.p.s. No, I don't really expect anybody to really answer this.  I just
> > couldn't resist sending this considering the number of "it works on
> > windows why not linux" e-mails we get.
>
> Try to create an installation CD with the latest service pack
> integrated. It is possible that they had added recognition for
> your/any SATA controller in the latest service pack.
>
> If this does not work, you can wait for V*sta in January (for
> businesses V*sta is available now). Of course you will eat up all
> your horsepower to minimize/maximize windows, but that is what
> W*ndows is all about. :-)
>
> Also, you can go virtualisation and install Windows under vmware or something.
>
> So, in summary what I would do:
>
> 1) Integrate the latest service pack in an installation CD, and try
> installation from this.
>
> 2) If this does not work you can wait for V*sta in January, or use
> virtualisation to install XP, or do not use W*ndows.

So you know, what he's talking about above on point 1 is called
"slipstreaming" Windows XP. I've done it before and it's straight forward.
Saves you the trouble of installing XP from original CD's and then taking the
next n days and n reboots to update it to current patch levels.

Even current levels still need patching :)

Michael.