SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:28:14 +0100
Avetisyan, Aram wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed the instructions for updating to SL 5.3 (from SL 5.1 + latest yum updates) on scientificlinux.org. It did not give any errors during the update, but I think something went very wrong because now I have a rather long list of problems such as:
>
> 1) During every boot, I get this message:
>
> Bringing up interface wmaster0
> Determining IP information for wmaster0... SIOCSIFFLAGS Operation not supported
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
>
> The machine is frozen for about 2 minutes while it thinks about these SIOCSIFFLAGS after which it resumes booting.
>
> 2) The option to connect to wireless networks through Network Manager is grayed out. I have an Intel 4965AGN wireless card which worked perfectly fine before I tried updating, but now it doesn't seem to see the networks anymore -- the settings include a list of all of the connections with correct names and passwords, but the system acts as if there is no network in range.

I think these two issues are related to the updated driver for iwl4965
in 5.3. SL5.2 used the iwl4965 driver whereas 5.3 uses the new iwlagn
driver. They use *different* firmware, so a user updating from 5.2 ->
5.3 with previously working wireless will experience the issues you
describe if the correct firmware is not installed.

In /etc/firmware you will need iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode (note the -2
revision is required by the new iwlagn driver).

RPMforge has the correct firmware packages (yum install
iwl4965-firmware). I'm not sure what SL firmware packages are available
nor what firmwares these packages contain.

Hope that helps,

Phil