SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:20:06 -0700
Hello All,

I think I asked this a while back but perhaps I wasn't very clear on what has been happening.

I have the option to do LDAP with a centralized server, and I would like to do so.
I use NFS mounted home directories (NFSv3).

I have installed SL6.1 and it works great.

I know I have successfully set up LDAP *and* NFS, because I can log in remotely with SSH as well as on a terminal.  However, when I try to log in with GDM or XDM, it will accept my password, black out the screen, and then return to either GDM or XDM.  I *can*, however, log in with a local account.

Is there something special about GDM or XDM with regards to LDAP or NFS that I am unaware of?  Shouldn't it just be using the same authorization as SSH or a terminal login?

Thanks,
Christopher Tooley
Systems, HEP/Astronomy UVic