SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Anne Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:04:21 +0100

On 22/08/12 22:40, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/08/22 11:08, Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Why just had a spike of cartalk style questions "my car does
>>> not start, what could be wrong?"
>>>
>>> (my procmail, my wifi, whatever).
>>>
>>> What could be wrong?
>>>

>> Instead of facile retorts, why not ask a question if you think
>> particular information may help?  In fact someone with more sense
>> has helped me off-list, if only to confirm that my install is
>> broken beyond what would be a sensible repair.
>>
>> Just as a matter of interest, when I ask a question with only
>> outline information, as this was, it's because I need a pointer
>> as to which particular bit of the problem is most likely to need
>> investigation, in order to avoid swamping the list with
>> irrelevancies.  You spectacularly failed to give this.
>
> Anne, I know you are not a newby. But your question was sort of
> vague and seemed to betray a failure to perform some basic
> troubleshooting 101 steps, "man procmail" is one. (There IS a lot
> to read there in the various files. But learning the basics of how
> procmail works is going to be step one for a lasting good solution.
> This is hard for ancient bitches like me but I persevere. Having
> learned is a nice feeling. The distressing part is how fast it all
> dribbles away these days.)
>
> {o.o}

That I can empathise with.  However, procmail has worked for me for
several years until this problem, so I was pretty sure that it was not
the obvious problem of broken procmailrc.  As I said, I wanted a
pointer to other things that could affect the working.

Browsing through logs (something that I simply hadn't had time for in
the last few weeks due to family problems) I found that an update had
broken some perl packages, and I couldn't get those mended.  The
problem almost certainly started when I followed web-page advice about
fixing priorities on the repos.  The more I dig, the more I find that
it has messed up such a large part of the installation that it is
simply not feasible to try to fix it.  A new install would be much
quicker.

Anne