SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:54:17 -0400
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Vaclav Mocek <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 02:32 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> libvirt is not one of Red Hat's best efforts at integration. Install
>> VirtualBox or VMware until you have time to play with this.
>>
> Still bad GUI or something new? ;-) No offence, please.
>
> Vaclav M.

It's actually hard to get past that GUI, but I'll try.

The attempt to mix and match the various virtualization toolkits is as
ill-fated as the ancient "linuxconf" toolkit.  Qemu (on which libvirt
was oriiginally developed, as near as I can tell), Xen, KVM, VMWare,
Virtualbox, etc., etc. all have different underlying configuration
options, syntaxes, server software components, and requirements for
actual use. The attempt to merge them into one single interface does
not properly identify what is blocked by missing local software, (such
as Xen server or KVM activation in the kernel), hardware features
(such as VT activation in the BIOS or availability in the CPU), system
configuration (such as appropriate shared storage or bridged
networking for KVM, the only virtualization technology that mandates
it). It also promulgates fairly serious handwaving of security
concerns about access to the guest system disk images.

Moreover, the XML used to store the Qemu based configuration is a
nightmare. It's very poorly documented, but for RHEL 4 and 5 I had to
keep going back and putting in local wrappers to access it directly.
Don't *get* me going on how fragile doing that to raw XML is....