SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:36:54 -0600
Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I have been using an old laptop as my firewall - running SL5
> like all my other computers.
>
> I recently purchased an ALIX 2D3 single board computer ( designed
> by PC Engines of Switzerland, http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm
> and sold by netgate.com for $180 with case and power supply).
> The board has 3 ethernet ports ( WAN, LAN, DMZ ), 256MB of RAM,
> and uses a 500MHz AMD Geode X86-compatible processor with
> built-in AES crypto engine (for speeding up VPN links).  It uses
> a Compact Flash card for "disk" though it also has a header that
> can connect to a PATA hard drive.  No video display, though there
> are USB connectors and a mini-PCI slot on the board where a
> display card can be added.
>
> The board draws less than 4 watts operating.  So it is about 3X
> faster than the old laptop, and 10x less power.  Some people are
> setting these up with the OpenWRT distro, but that is optimized
> for small flash footprint, and has too many bugs IMHO.  I tried
> that for a few frustrating days, and gave up.
>
> I attached the CF card to a USB adapter, attached that to a
> diskless desktop computer, and installed from the SL5 DVD.  After
> tweaking /etc/fstab , /boot/grub/menu.lst , and /etc/inittab for
> a serial console and different drive names, the card booted fine
> on the ALIX.  I made some flash-friendly changes (noatime, remote
> logging, ramdisk /tmp, etc).  I also added a rc file to copy the
> MAC address of my old WAN connection.  I am moving the config
> files from the old firewall laptop now, and will deploy soon.
>
> Which raises a question - is anybody else on this list interested
> in my notes on how I am doing this?  I can put a write-up on my
> wiki if so, otherwise I may forget some of what I did.
>
> With SL5 driving massive computation clusters consuming megawatts
> at the high end of the spectrum, it is nice to know that SL5 is
> also useful at the low power end, too.
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,
I don't know about other people, but I for one would love to read how you did
it.  I've been wanting to make a couple of ultra low power machines and it
would be great to see some instructions for something other than debian.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group