SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Artem Trunov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Artem Trunov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 19:16:41 +0200
Hi, all

Found this old thread while trying to solve own hda/sda problem.

I have installed SL5 on "hda" drive (and it was actually an IDE drive).

Now I took the content of the root partition and cloned it to a second
machine. This second machine also has an IDE drive, but a different
brand, which is recognized as sdb (sda is bootable usb stick), not
hda.

Ok, so after I boot the second machine from the stick, partition the
hard drive and close the image, I do chroot into the cloned partition
and install mbr with grub shell. At the same time I notice that in
chroot'ed env I have "/" mounted on /dev/hda, as reported by "df".
While fdisk -l would still report /dev/sdb.

This is what I don't understand - where in the system it remembers
that it was on /dev/hda before? I have only labels in /etc/fstab and
grub.conf.

Now, when I boot from the hard drive of the second mchine, is starts
ok, loading the splash screen and boot image, but later it wont find
the root partition and kernel panic in the process of boot. I suspect
it's related to this fact that system remembers /dev/hda drive it was
originally installed

Any words of wisdom from SL gurus?

If I clone to a machine whose HD is recognized as hda as in the case
or ogriginal installation, all goes well. Only when a new HD is sda,
it fails.

cheers
Artem.