SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:50:19 +1000
Hi,

> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > Thanks for the info!
> >
> > Any idea about the current life-expectancy of 304 as far as updates go
> > (especially security updates)?
> >

> https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/future
>
> I'll just quote it.
>
> ------------------
> Long Term Support
> Scientific Linux has plans to do security updates for 3 years from
> the initial release of an Enterprise product. So for the Scientific
> Linux
> 3.0.x line, we plan on doing security updates for 3 years from the
> release of Enterprise 3. When we get close to the end of that we
> will make a more exact date. There is a caveat to the above
> statement. This is just a plan. We do not, and cannot, guarantee our
> plan. There are too many factors for us to guarantee it. One of the
> possibilities is that the source rpm's from the Enterprise release
> will become unavailable. There are other factors that also may
> prevent a guarantee.
> -------------------
>
> So basically the support for 301, 302, 303, 304, 30x, will all end
> at the same time. Will it be longer than three years?  Maybe, but we
> can't really say until that time comes. Will it be less than three
> years? We hope not.
>
> Troy

Just to put in my 2 cents.. I remember this thread began with a query whether
to roll out SL304 or SL4 on a new installation on servers.

My opinion is, if the person sees benefit to all the updated packages
(including the major differences of 2.4 kernel to 2.6 kernel) being beneficial
to the rollout, then wait for SL4 and install that, if there's no real
benefits for the applications or services you'll be running, then stay with
the SL3 tree.

As anything in life there's no guarantees, but generally speaking SL3 and SL4
support will likely be good regardless of which distribution you choose.

Michael.