SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:01:07 -0500
Hi,
It's good to see this is (hopefully) already addressed with Update 2.

Just for fun, here is what it looks like on my system.  And by the way,
I found this out when doing an rsync that had taken over 15 minutes on
one file.  I think rsync is smart with sparse files, but I believe this
was just a bit too large for it.

This is on a S.L. 4.1 x86_64 system.  I used the -h on everything,
because I just love to see a T

Let's look at the file giving me trouble
     # ls -lh /var/log/lastlog
     -r--------  1 root root 1.2T Oct 17 08:51 /var/log/lastlog

Yipes, that can't be right.  I've never seen a T for a size before.
     # ls -l /var/log/lastlog
     -r--------  1 root root 1254130450140 Oct 17 08:51 /var/log/lastlog

That's huge, but I didn't know I had that big of a filesystem
     # df -h /var/log/lastlog
     /dev/sda1              19G   14G  3.6G  80% /

Wait, how can a 1.2 Terrabyte file fit it 19 Gig, let's look at it's
real size
     # du -h /var/log/lastlog
     60K     /var/log/lastlog

Whew ... that's better.

I think this machine is a good candidate to see if the fix works or not.
(I'll let you know later today if it did or not.)
Troy

Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
> Hi all.
>

>> File /var/log/lastlog very big 1.3 GB, possible a Bug in SL 4.1 X86_64
>> Version
>>

> This shall be corrected by this bugfix:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-727.html :
>
> [...]
> Installing the nfs-utils package turned /var/log/lastlog into a large
> sparse file. Subsequently, lastlog took a long time to run because
> nfs-utils used adduser to install the nfsnobody account.
> [...]
>
> Corrected nfs-utils-1.0.6-65.EL4 shall be available soon
> from SL 4 bugfix area (and integrated in 4.2 I believe)
>
> Best Regards
>
> Jarek

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468