SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Tanmoy Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tanmoy Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 02:36:41 +0530
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Steven J. Yellin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>    You may already understand what I'm about to write, but it's possible
> that you're enough of a newbie that you've misunderstood the role of rpms,
> so I'll explain anyway:
>    Downloading a rpm, like rp-pppoe, is not a method of connection; it's
> part of a proceedure for getting the rp-pppoe software into your computer if
> it isn't already there.  If the command
>
> rpm -q rp-pppoe
>
> shows that the package is already there (compare with what you get for a
> non-existent rpm as in 'rpm -q Tanmoy') then there's no point in again
> putting it into your computer via a USB stick.  The rpm should be installed
> once, and then never needs to be installed again.  In the case of a
> distribution such as RHEL, standard practice is to have necessary rpms
> installed initially as part of the original system.  It would be somewhat
> surprising if that didn't happen with rp-pppoe.
I think I have failed to clearly point out my problem. I know how to
set-up pppoe connection via "Roaring Penguin" software "rp-pppoe" as I
have already done so with my Fedora 13 and Ubuntu partitions.
As I am currently installing SL from Livecd which does not come with
that rp-pppoe package. So that I have to download it somehow and then
install it to set up a pppoe connection. That's why I am asking
whether there are any other software/method to set up pppoe connection
in SL?
My confusion increases with googling and after going through RHEL
documents - I have found some suggestions there as how to configure it
with pppd. Just want to know how is it different than the software we
are dicussing rp-pppoe and is there some easy steps to do so.