SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:18:06 -0500
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Fernando V. Molina
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I remember to have installed SL 7 beta on VirtualBox VM (under SL 6 host)
> from web. I downloaded the web install iso; in the installer, I had to set:
> first my local proxy, and then the url for the packages; if I remember well,
> at that time it was
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/x86_64/os/
> But now, it should be
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7x/x86_64/os/
>
> I was able to install several betas this way. Of course, at each instance,
> one must retype everything.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Fernando Molina
> School of Exact and Natural Sciences
> University of Buenos Aires, Argentina

If you can, set up an internal mirror to take the load off the primary
external servers. Some of the ones I use are published at:

           https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts

Then you can point to the internal mirrors for yum based OS
installation, mock, and if desired for managing updates.