SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:00:44 +0000
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:

> > First we misguidedly tried "yum install openafs"
> >
> > Then we found we couldn't remove it:
> >
> > rpm -e openafs
> >   error: %preun(openafs- ...  ) scriptlet failed, exit
> >
> > Then we remembered that, to do what we wanted, we *should* be using
> >
> > yum groupinstall "OpenAFS Client"
> >
> > But that failed:
> >
> >  ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> >  Package kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-20.EL needs
> >  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL, this is not available.
>
> OK, we'll look into that.

Thanks!

> The other is to just install the openafs stuff, typing them out by
> hand.  That actually should be the same as downloading and
> installing the rpm's by just using rpm.

I see that now, thanks!

> You're going to be listing the same rpm's.  So if you have the
> latest kernel you would do
>
>   yum install openafs openafs-client openafs-krb5
> kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
> kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp

OK, with that guidance, I've also tried a step by step install.

The key is to choose the correct kernel-module-openafs explicitly,
rather than let it be chosen by the groupinstall, it seems.

If I do "yum install kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL"
then it happily installs it, along with openafs

If I then do "yum install openafs-client" , it happily installs
that too.

And when I try "yum update", it finds nothing to update: evidently the
installation had found the latest versions (aside from the kernel
module) without any help from me.  So it seems everything else went
fine.

Action points seem, then, to be:

1) "scriptlet failed" in response to rpm -e

2) the definition of the "groupinstall" components, if this is
feasible, to pick up the current kernel version when installing
OpenAFS

thanks!