SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:16:42 -0700
     I'm surprised nobody else has answered Eve's question yet.  I may have
the wrong idea here, because I haven't recently used the methods I'm about
to suggest, but just to get what I think is correct as far as it goes, and
to encourage whoever knows more or knows I'm wrong to jump in:

     I assume you can burn and read CDs, and your old system is i386, not
x86_64.  It should work to burn an installation cd with the boot.iso from
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/52/i386/images/ .  Boot
your computer with this CD and follow instructions.

     Alternatively, if you already have linux with grub on your system,
from http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/52/i386/isolinux/
copy into some location on your computer initrd.img and vmlinuz.  For
example, initrd.img can go to /boot/initrd5.2.img and vmlinuz can go to
/boot/vmlinuz5.2.  If, for example, /boot is in the root partition, and
that is /dev/hda2 <--> (hd0,1) in grub, then grub.conf can have lines

title SL52 Installation
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz5.2
         initrd /boot/initrd5.2.img

If instead /boot is its own partition, say /dev/hda2, the same lines
without the "/boot" should work.  Then choose the SL52 Installation when
you want to install SL52.

Steven Yellin