SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
Andy Wettstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Wettstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 11:08:51 -0500
On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:59:32AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Andy Wettstein wrote:
> >
> >If you update to mozilla 1.7.7 or remove and reinstall mozilla with your
> >umask set to 077 you will see this:
> >
> >[1051]root@andrew# ls -ld greprefs/ init.d/
> >drwx------    2 root     root         4096 May  6 15:52 greprefs/
> >drwx------    2 root     root         4096 May  6 15:52 init.d/
> >
> >When you remove mozilla those directories aren't deleted either.  I
> >think /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/components/myspell/ suffers from the same
> >problems.
> >

> >>Troy
>
> *Troy sits back and thinks a bit*
> OK
> So what should I do to fix this that isn't going to break mozilla for
> everyone that installs it normally?
> Troy

Did a little digging.  The problem is those directories aren't
explicitly listed in the rpm packing list.

A "bad" directory:
[1024]root@andrew# rpm -ql mozilla|grep /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/greprefs$

A "good" directory:
[1025]root@andrew# rpm -ql mozilla|grep /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/chrome$
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/chrome

RPM then creates the directories with the installing user's umask, and
those directories will then become orphans upon package removal.
This appears to be a known problem with RPM:
http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/2003-June/001458.html
So I guess the fix is to explicitly list those 3 directories in the
packing list so it doesn't use the umask from the user.