SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:56:34 -0500
Hi,
Maybe someone has some suggestions for the following problem.
I have an SL4.4 system with 2 SATA drives configured as a RAID 1.
As of last Friday, the system will not boot. It doesn't even get as far as
displaying the kernel screen. I am able to boot the system from the rescue
CD. When I do so, the disk look normal. The RAID is up and running and
I can see the filesystems.

So, I suspected that the MBR somehow got corrupted, and decided to try
grub-install to rewrite the MBR.

This didn't work...the commands I used and errors I got are listed below:

grub-install hd0
I got the error:
/dev/md0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

grub-install /dev/sda   (note cat /proc/mdstat lists RAID partitions as /dev/sda1 etc)
I got the error:
/dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

grub-install /dev/hda
I got the error:
/dev/hda: Not found or not a block device

So, how do I repair the MBR on a raided system drive? What is the install
device that I need?

Of course, this may not be the problem at all. If anyone has ideas on what
else I should try, please let me know.

Eve