SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2016

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2016 05:32:42 -0500
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi again
> My research has revealed that nfs in SL 7.2 is translating the POSIX ACL to NFSv4 ACL (a completely different format).
> vi appears to recognise NFSv4 ACL, but Nautilus, ls and probably other programs, only seem to recognise POSIX ACL.

Ohh. *ouch*. NFSv4 permission management is.... well, it's ugly, for
both NFS and for CIFS.

> So I have the following alternatives:
> 1. Stop nfs translating to NFSv4 ACL
> 2. Change the guest mount to translate NFSv4 ACL back to POSIX ACL
> 3. Change Nautilus, etc to recognise NFSv4 ACL
> 4. Use Samba instead of nfs

Samba is server software. The protocol you're referring to, whether
the upstream is a Samba or Windows server, is CIFS, and the clients
are generally in the somewhat independent toolkit cifs-utils, and CIFS
would mean.... well, a lot of differences, including but not limited
to a *very* chatty protocol with far inferior performance.

> I'm not sure if 1. or 2. are possible and 3. may happen one day. Does anyone know of a practical solution/workaround?
> Cheers
> Bill

If feasible, I'd switch to resetting the default mount behavior to be
NFSv3 based, not NFSv4. NFSv4 has a stack of potentially useful
features, such as using Kerberos credentials instead of simply system
uid for access control. In fact, I wonder if that's part of the issue?
Do you have some Kerberized credentials in play here?