SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2015 08:33:10 -0800
I appreciate the various replies, some of which have been off-list.

One such off list is:

[Entity X} is not yet on the ActiveSync client but
we have been using MS Exchange 2010 for a few years now.
the linux IMAP clients were at first problematic but eventually they
sorted them all out and there are plenty of people who still use
thunderbird to read their mail without significant trouble except
the server getting confused every once in a while.  I think you
can expect that office365 cloud-based email, which my wife's university
already uses, will work out the imap kinks in the next bug release or two.

End quote.

This is a SL issue in that if SL is to be used in the real world as both
a workstation and as a server environment,
one needs workstation applications that communicate/interoperate with
those commonly available from other environments
(the two primary examples being proprietary MS Windows and highly
proprietary Mac OS X -- albeit the latter has BSD internals
and thus can be adapted to open standards -- in addition to the various
"smart phone", tablet, and device environments such
as Android or IOS).

Fully function is not a weasel word -- it means that if a set of
services are available from some service or application -- then all of
these functions can be accessed with equivalent results as if the
"native" proprietary application were used.  Evidently,
using IMAP and SMTP -- open public IETF standards -- work, but very
slowly, with the current MS Office365 email service.
The web based interfaces are slow as well.  This leaves us with the only
alternative -- until MS works out the Office365 cloud based email imap
"kinks" in the next few maintenance minor releases ("bug releases").  I
am not holding my breath in that MS may view this as a method to force
linux out of the USA professional/commercial workplace.

Yasha Karant