SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 01:12:02 -0800
During the installation process of SL 6x from a bootable installation
DVD, there is an opportunity to configure in detail the selection of the
actual applications and utilities ("packages") that one wants.  If for
some reason an error is made, in part due to the lack of a confirmation
prompt if the install widget is hit, and the system proceeds to install
producing a bootable system from the machine local hard drive, is there
a way to get back to this section of the install process from a running
system (as root) using the same DVD?

I do not want to use the add/remove software pull down menu item that
seems to require repositories over a network, not from the local machine
DVD -- unless the add/remove software GUI utility can be pointed to the
bootable install DVD.  I also do not want to re-install from scratch.

I typically do use the update process over the network, as well as the
GUI add/remove software from repositories -- or yum from a command line
-- for specific applications/utilities, but not for the long laundry
list during an initial installation.

Yasha Karant