SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
"John R. Dennison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Dennison
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 02:19:18 -0600
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 08:39:50AM +0100, Daniel DobrijaƂowski wrote:

> Run service nscd reload after adding users. If that won't help stop it,
> delete databases in /var/db/nscd and start again.

All one should need to do is invalidate the password and group caches in
the event some attribute has been removed or changed and nscd doesn't
pick up on it properly, or the more likely scenario that nscd's negative
cache is being hit.  One can invalidate applicable caches in this
instance via:

# /usr/sbin/nscd -i passwd
# /usr/sbin/nscd -i group

This will invalidate and throw out both the positive and negative
caches for the passwd and group name services.

Note: shadow is not, by design, cached.

							John
--
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former.