SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:31:23 -0500
Ron Rechenmacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running slf5 x86_64.
>
> Based on system monitoring and internet searches, I believe somewhere in my X
> server there is a memory leak which causes my x server to crash every couple
> of days.
>
> I'm wondering if any one has any experience or could help me try a new x
> server (the "rpm/yum" way)?   -- what I mean, is: if I do:
>
>             yum list installed "*x11*"
>
> I see many rpms which will have many dependencies.
>
> If I boot up in text mode, is there an rpm/yum command to remove them all and,
> of course, where/how can I try a different version (maybe newer, maybe older)?
>
> After I remove them, maybe I could build and install a source package from
> xorg.freedesktop.org??
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Hi Ron,
Do you know which video driver you are using?  Probrubly the easiest way is to

   grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I would first try to just change the driver to a newer or older version.
But, I've never done that, and that might be harder than anything else.  But if
you were using the proprietary ATI or NVIDIA drivers, this would be quite easy.

But, to answer your original question.
You probrubly already found out that if you do a

   yum remove xorg-x11\*

that is is going to remove most everything along with X.  So, here is what I
would do

   rpm -qa | grep xorg | sort > /root/rpmlist.xorg
This saves things off, so you can get back to where you started
I would then do
   cat /root/rpmlist.xorg | while read line
   do
     echo $line
     rpm -e --nodeps $line
   done

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group