SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:07:02 -0600
Our local vendor built us a Supermicro/Adaptec
system with 16x1TB SATA drives.  We have a 12TB
partition that they built as EXT2.  When I tried
to add journaling, it took forever, and then the
system locked up.  On reboot, the FS was still
EXT2, and takes hours (even empty) to fsck.  Based
on the messages flying by I am also not confident
fsck rally understands a filesystem this large.

Is the XFS module stable on 5.1 and 5.2?  (The
vendor installed 5.1 because that's what they
have, but I ran "yum update").

Anyone have experience with filesystems this large
on a Linux system?  Will XFS work well for this?

If any of you have successfully used EXT3 on a
filesystem this large, are there any tuning tips
you recommend?  I was thinking of turning on
dir_index, but somewhere I saw a warning this
nmight not work with other OSes.  Since we do have
some Windows and Mac users accessing things via
SMB, I wasn't sure that was safe. either.

This is a 64bit system. 8^)

Thanks,
Miles