SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:43:40 -0500
On 12/09/2013 03:22 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> How would you mount this thing by label?  What is its label any
> way?  Plus, the backup drives rotate (several drive).  I presume
> I can not add the same label to each backup drive?

For years this type of thing drove me nuts also.  LVM is your friend
here (and in may other places also).  fstab is as simple as:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext4    defaults        1 1

Of course you can be much more creative and use volume group and logical
volume names that suit you.

If you happen to have non-LVM partitions (boot for example) UUID can
solve those too:

UUID=2ed29516-67a5-46dd-9e13-ea82624822fc /boot         ext4    defaults
        1 2

If you need to find the UUID run blkid.  Took me a while to figure that out!

But really, LVM is the best thing since sliced bread.  For example when
you run backups (you do, right?) then you absolutely want to be running
them against a snapshot rather than a live FS and LVM makes this easy.

Jeff