SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:34:43 +1000
Giulia,

I've got this Asus A6kt AMD Thurion-64 laptop just to play with 64-bits
OSes/apps etc. So from the very beginning I'm using only 64-bits OS [I also have
couple of gigs partition with ms-windows, which is 32-bits but I've booted it
may 5 times max].

what I may suggest is download the ATI installer; create somewhere in your home
 rpm/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS} dirs to build rpms. Create ~/.rpmmacros
and put

%_topdir /path/to/that/dir
%_tmppath /path/to/tmp/dirs

to avoid building rpms as root in /usr/src/rpm

chmod +x /the/path/2installer

run the installer with -h option to see available options.
run the installer with --listpkg [pipe the output through your favorite pager
such as less or more] and then --buildpkg <selected pkg>. Keep in mind that
final pkg/pkgs will be in your current directory.
When you finish with build -- try to install [don't forget to switch to the text
mode with telinit 3. and ensure that it works with "startx" and only if it works
-- switch back to GUI with "telinit 5".

If there are errors check /var/log/Xorg.0.log

BTW there was an RHEL5 option [for 32 bits] so you could try it and update wiki
with your results.

Good luck
Alex