SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 00:17:19 +0900
On 01/28/2013 03:17 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone running LibreOffice on a Server?
> Appreciate ideas on how to implement some of the MS office features on a
> Web Server
>
> TIA

No idea what features you are looking to implement, but if the goal is
to have your web server generate ODF files natively...

I've found it a lot easier to generate ODFs directly from templates
rather than go through LibreOffice. I've written tools to do this for me
from within Django and Snap but haven't gone to the trouble to
generalize (or clean up) the solution. ODF turns out to be wonderfully
easy to generate, parse, manipulate, etc. and is now the only XML format
that doesn't make me gag.

This might not be at all the direction you are trying to head in, but if
it is a "generate docs/spreadsheets/charts/etc from source data" type
problem don't write off the idea of generating your own from an
extension to your web framework.