SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:43:24 -0500
Down loaded SL 5.8, created DVD's and updated test system not a fresh install.
The only causality is LibreOffice 3.5.
When you open a LibreOffice file and try to edit a file the key board is
disconnected.  Once you type to  a LOffice 3.5 document,  display gets dumb,
and it eventually asks you to terminate the program.  Did SL 5.8 install a
new KDE for me?

Everything else appears to work -

I noticed that I now have KDE 4 as a desktop.

Tried to install a new version of LibreOffice 3.6 to see if it would behave
differently.   KDE complains that it cannot launch /usr/bin/libreOffice3.6
and quits.
Looked on Net and there is so much noise about KDE and this subject - Had to
quit but never found a solution but KDE developer closed bug report.

Is there a way to regress back to SL5.7 from SL 5.8 , that was on this system?

Fortunately this is only one system and not many.

Thanks
Larry Linder