SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:34:20 -0500
Yes, I tore my hair out on this one last year. The solution is:
In modprobe.conf on the nfs server add the following line:

options lockd nlm_udpport=6667 nlm_tcpport=6667

(here 6667 is the port number to which lockd is fixed)

The reboot your server.

Eve

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Ken Teh wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:02:04 -0500
> From: Ken Teh <[log in to unmask]>
> To: scientific-linux-users <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: kernel lockd does not honor requested lockd ports
>
> I've fixed the various nfs ports in my firewall config and have propagated
> these ports to /etc/sysconfig/nfs.  All the ports are honored except for the
> lockd ports.  I've even tried setting the ports in sysctl.conf and appending
> them to the kernel boot in grub.conf.  rpcinfo -p shows that the kernel
> (2.6.18-128.1.6.el5) basically ignores me.  NFS clients are mounting via
> NFSv3.  Ignoring the lockd numbers creates apparently creates problems for
> some applications, presumably because the application is requesting file
> locks.  For example, firefox won't run when launched in a user's home
> directory that is mounted remotely from the server.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem?  What's the fix?
>
> Ken

Eve Kovacs
Argonne National Laboratory,
Room F149, Bldg. 362, HEP