SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 00:48:30 -0700
On 05/05/2015 11:05 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 02:29 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>> Hi ToddAndMargo!
>>
>>   On 2015.04.13 at 18:26:49 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote next:
>>
>>> -T
>>>
>>> Wonder if there are any enterprise level SSD's that don't
>>> need TRIM?
>>
>> Tons. All Hitachi SSDs, OCZ Interpid and Saber, all Intel DC series SSDs
>> (based on Intel controllers) and many more. Though I'm not sure that
>> 1) you'll like the prices of enteprise SSDs and 2) for workstation (and
>> even for many kinds of servers) there is absolutely no point in using
>> these "enterprise" SSDs. The controller itself isn't more reliable, just
>> flash chips endure more wear, but the difference (e.g. 100 TB endurance
>> of normal SSD vs 20 PB endurance of enterprise SSD) makes a difference
>> only for certain databases and cache (when data on SSD is constantly
>> refreshed) workloads. So if you exclude the wear factor, the chance of
>> failure depends on the controller/firmware and is about the same whether
>> SSD was marked for enterprise or not. And you already got RAID in mind
>> against these kind of failures anyway.
>>
>> For nearly all other cases, avoiding SandForce-based SSDs is about all
>> you
>> need to care about when picking SSD for systems without TRIM. I listed
>> some model examples in the previous mail.
>>

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> I have look all over Intel's specs for their new SSD DC S3510
> series SSDs (older drives are harder to find):
>
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-dc-s3510-spec.html
>

> They do not say a thing about Garbage Collection and not having to use
> TRIM.  They do say "Data set management Trim command", which means they
> support TRIM.
>
> I have eMailed Intel's tech support twice over two weeks and
> have been ignored twice by them (which is typical).
>
> Also: in my research, I did find mention that TRIM did not effect
> lifespan -- TRIM only affected write speed, which would slow down
> to a crawl without it.  Can you verify this?
>
> Thank you for helping me with this.
>
> -T

Found this:

http://www.intel.ie/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/ssd-dc-s3500-workload-raid-paper.pdf

      The system used for RAID 1 testing include the following:
      • LSI MegaRAID 9265-8i* controller card

      To summarize:
      • In both RAID 1 and RAID 5, the Intel SSD DC S3500 Series
        drive shows excellent scalability, performance, and consistency.

      • Very little latency was introduced by the RAID controller
        in RAID 1. In RAID 5, the overhead and latency are slightly
         higher.

      • In random, mixed read/write workloads, SSDs perform
        significantly (as much as 100 times) better than HDDs
        in a similar situation

Maybe the S3500 is what I want?  They are still available
at my distributors.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.