SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 17:27:06 +0200
On 05/05/15 08:02, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> SL 6.6 x64
>
> I looked over on
>     https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/993679
> for alternative to Flash.
>
> They recommended Lightspark or Gnash.  Neither of
> which I can find with "yum --enablerepo=* whatprovides".
>
> Any other ways around Adobe's outdated flash plugin?
> I am mainly concerned about all those flash graphics
> I see on web sites.

Hmmm ... well, if you're concerned about the flash graphics, why not
ditch flash completely and you'll be able to ignore them all?  Most
significant places these days supports HTML5 where flash mostly have a
value (view video streams).

Other than that ... yes, the version number of the RPM package Adobe
provides is old.  And Adobe have said they do not actively develop new
features on Linux.  But they have released security updates when that
has been needed.  I've not caught that they've changed their involvement
here:

"NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux
as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security
backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux. "

<https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth