SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Areeda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2013 19:30:43 -0700
Greetings,

Here's my situation:

I have a dual monitor setup driven by an nVidia GTX 560, in a side by
side configuration with a 30" 1080p on the left and a 24" 1080p on the
right both connected with a DVI to HDMI cable.  The big montior is on a
HDMI switch and is shared with other computers.  I swap the cable from a
USB hub to switch because SL6 doesn't like my USB switches but that's a
topic for another email.

Here's my problem:

For some reason the motherboard or SL6 likes the smaller monitor on the
right as the default.  I don't understand how it figures that out as
swapping the DVI cables doesn't change it.

The nVidia setup is fine and I can rearrange the monitors and all is
good until I switch to using the left monitor for another computer.

SL6 is smart enough to realize one monitor went away and move everything
to the monitor on the right.  However when I switch back it looses the
monitor position and thinks the left is to the right and using the
nVidia tool to put it back doesn't move the top and bottom panels back
to the main monitor.

CTL-ALT backspace to kill X and startx restores everything the way it
should be.  That isn't too bad if I don't have a gaggle of programs
running and a ton of windows spread over 8 desktops, but that's my
normal situation.

Because of the panel issue even if I figure out a way to rearrange the
desk it won't work the way I'd like.

Any ideas how to switch monitors and get back to the same (albeit odd)
configuration?

This is not a horrible problem, just an annoyance but it would be really
cool to figure it out.

Thanks,
Joe