SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:09:14 -0700
On 07/03/2013 06:37 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> It's pretty cynical to learn that at Google the RHEL packages have been
>>> build in an Ubuntu environment, rather than properly packaged on the
>>> same
>>> distribution. A practice that almost everyone is doing today.
>>>
>>> It's amazing that this even worked, we'd be better off if it didn't...
>>
>> They must be using mock, which is available in Ubuntu.
>
> They cannot be using mock, otherwise it wouldn't pick up the newer,
> alien libstdc++ from Ubuntu 12.04. Besides, if they did it would all
> have magically worked (or not have built at all).
>
>      Version     : 27.0.1453.110
>      Build Host: lin64build12.chrome.corp.google.com
>
> vs
>
>      Version     : 28.0.1500.70
>      Build Host: precise64build2.chrome.corp.google.com
>      RPM version: 4.9.1.1
>
> So the RPM version pretty much gives away that they do not build on
> RHEL. And rpm-4.9.1.1 is exactly what ships with Ubuntu Precise Pangolin
> (aka Ubuntu 12.04).
>
> Need more proof ? :-)

Please pardon this question, but how did you extract the above information?

When I use a fairly universal method (please see below), I do find
essentially the same precise64 ... information, but not the RPM version.

[ykarant@jb344 Downloads]$ strings
google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm | grep -i build
precise64build3.chrome.corp.google.com
[ykarant@jb344 Downloads]$ strings
google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm | grep -i version
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
   # not anticipate a new version of bzip2 with a different
   # minor version number anytime soon.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
   # not anticipate a new version of bzip2 with a different
   # minor version number anytime soon.

Yasha Karant