SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:23:01 -0600
J S Jayakumar wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>           I was trying to install SL5.2 on an ASUS M3N78-EM
> <http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=676&l4=0&model=2319&modelmenu=1>
> mother board with has NVIDIA GeForce 8300 chipset.  During the
> installation, it fails to recognise the SATA hard disk controller and
> aborts the installation with the message that No hard disk is found.
> Can you pl. suggest a solution to this problem?
>
> J S Jayakumar

Step 1 - Convince Nvidia that closed sourced drivers make it really hard
to do an initial install.
Step 2 - Use those open source drivers that they provide
Step 3 - wake up because step 1 is going to take a few more years.

Or were you wanting a more immediate solution :)

I don't have an nvidia based chipset, so I'm going off of memory, maybe
someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing to try is to change the setting in the bios from SATA Raid to
SATA IDE (or whatever it isn't right now, change it to the other setting)

I think another thing to try is to pass the noapic option when you
start, so it would be something like
   linux noapic

I'm also not sure of this one, but there is a SATA driver that doesn't
like to be loaded after the USB driver, so you have to do a
   linux nousb
But that only works if you have a keyboard that isn't USB.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468