SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:00:09 -0800
Not as I see it. You take a backup to a large disk, or disks as the case
may be. That is your safety net. Then you try the md disks in the hard raid
controller. If they work, Bob's your uncle. If they do not work then create
the proper raid configuration on the hardware controller with the md disks
and copy in the backup. Perform the copying using a live CD to the extent
you can. At no time do you end up with twin RAID arrays. Of course, if you
have enough disks simply copy the md raid as an disk to the hard raid as a
disk. "tar" or "dd" imaging can work. If you use different disks in the
RAIDs then use tar or even cpio to copy the files rather than copy a pure
image. That will tend to optimize the partitioning to use the drive's
actual internal block size for creating partition boundaries.

{^_^}