SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 07:55:44 -0400
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM, David G.Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Jeffrey Anderson <jdanderson@...> writes:
>>
>> The message I get from the official voices in this thread is that there is
>> no supported method of upgrading major versions, only minor point
>> versions. It's no big deal. I just did a fresh install, then some
>> cfengine magic and am back up and running in a couple hours.  I was just
>> surprised because major version upgrades have been available for every
>> version of SL and TUV for the past 15+ years, and when the install media
>> did not give me that option here I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking
>> something.
>
> Intriguingly, Fedora now has a semi-official upgrade process called FedUp.
> It is very much a "work in progress" and has been known to fail rather
> spectacularly but TUV through Fedora seems to be moving towards eventually
> supporting major version upgrades. Or FedUp may never make it out of Fedora...

Why semi-official?! It's the official replacement of preupgrade and is
the only recommended method to perform a Fedora upgrade given that the
new Anaconda has lost its upgrade capability.

I once mentioned that I'd love to see preupgrade in EL and Nico
pointed out that upgrading a six-month-old installation is far simpler
than upgrading EL-X to EL-X+1 with the large jump in versions between
the latter two.