SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:12:39 -0400
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The issue is that the application would not pass configure without disabling
> these options.  I have tried the various pre-built RPMs for vlc that have
> been mentioned, but all the ones that I have found have dependencies that
> cause conflicts with other versions of the same dependency (typically, some
> .so package).  Because the linux application environment is not polymorphic
> with encapsulation, one cannot have both versions of some such dependency
> installed.

*Start* from the SRPM. and evaluate the SRPM compliments for
components that may conflict.

> I do have a version of vlc that does run but for which I do not have an RPM;
> by copying that binary, its libraries, and its support directory tree from
> machine to machine, we have a functional but rather old vlc.
>
> Hence, I am looking for a set of RPMs or a set of source code
> applications/libraries that will build under SL6x to allow me not to
> required that these codecs be disabled.

All the published SRPM's build under SL 6. You're leaving out the part
here about "does not conflict with other components from other
repositories", and that's the part that's biting you.

What winds up conflicting? And can you simply use vlc on a host
without those  conflicting components?