SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:40:56 -0700
Greetings.  We're trying run the Cornell Spider program to search our
linux  boxes for sensitive information (SSN's, credit-card numbers,
etc.).  Here's the link:

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/tools/spider-linux.html

The program has the appended prerequisites.  We've been able to satisfy
many of them with packages that were already installed or that were
available from the dag or dries repositories.  This is on an i386 system
running SL 4.4.

But we couldn't find all the prerequisites in those places.  In
particular, we couldn't find:

     File::LibMagic
     File::Path

     wvText
     unzoo
     arj
     readpst

We installed the File::* modules via cpan, which isn't so bad, although
I prefer to install strictly via RPM's if possible.  The packages are
more of a problem.

Google tells us that there ARE RPM packages available in various places
on the net for all of the missing software (wvText, etc.).  But in my
experience there's a lot of tail chasing involved in trying to use such
RPM's (will those Mandriva or Suse RPM's work on this system?), not to
mention the fact that the parentage of some of these packages is
somewhat dubious.

Can anybody suggest a better approach?  Has anybody got Cornell Spider
running under SL 4.4?

Thanks.

					- Mike

Prerequisites:

Perl 5.6.1 or higher with
the following modules:

     * MD5
     * SHA1
     * Crypt:CBC and Crypt::Blowfish
     * Config::IniFiles
     * File::LibMagic
     * File::Path
     * Archive::Zip

Any or all of the following
auxiliary programs:

     * file
     * wvText (for converting
       Word docs to text)
     * unzip
     * unrar
     * lha
     * unzoo
     * arj
     * readpst

--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966