SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 03:12:35 +0400
Hi Paul Robert Marino!

 On 2013.07.24 at 18:15:45 -0400, Paul Robert Marino wrote next:

> 3) if you want to do a full file system backup it may behoove you to look at
> the XFS dump command rather than traditional tools like tar because the file
> produced by xfsdump will include any selinux contexts, posix ACLS, and extended
> attributes set on the files. This comes in really handy for things like the

Uh, GNU tar supports storing & restoring selinux contexts, extended
attributes and posix ACLs. I can assure you that current tar in SL6
perfectly stores & restores everything and there is absolutely no need
to use xfs-specific tool for backup purpose. I mean, if you're doing
backup, it's likely that you need more universal tool which can store
filesystem of any type and restore it to any other type, preserving all
metadata - and tar does that.

(that said, I prefer more specialized tool than tar for backup - I use
dar and it supports saving & restoring EA, including selinux contexts
and posix ACLs just as well)

--

Vladimir