SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:01:07 -0800
On 2011/12/30 17:24, MT Julianto wrote:

> On 30 December 2011 14:15, jdow <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> wrote:
>

>         All possibilities are negative: not power mode issue, not dhcp issue (see
>         below), not iptables issue (see below), not hacking issue
>         (/var/log/secure is
>         clear (no attack) at that fail time).
>

>     What happens if you ping the host before trying ssh?
>

> Sometimes it failed as well.

As in the ssh login failed after the ping failed or did the ping find the
host and you still had an ssh failure. The error I remember you receiving
(long trimmed out of this thread) had suggested to me that your machine
was not finding the other machine in DNS lookup (or maybe found an inaccurate
address) that cleared by the time of the next lookup. If the destination
machine's actual numeric address does not change I'm not sure how the DNS
lookup could be wrong unless it got stale with a timeout.

>     Can you check if the ssh daemon is running or if it's setup to use xinetd?
>     (Normally it runs as a daemon. I'm hypothesizing that it is running off an
>     inet daemon and taking too long to load or something.)
>

> sshd runs as a daemon.  Even xinetd is not installed.

So much for that idea, eh?

{^_^}