SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Mr IT Guru <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mr IT Guru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:36:15 +0100
While the graphs are nice, and provide a visual representation of the time it takes to releasing a patch with regards to a security advisory - what real information do they tell us?

Other than, some groups of 'volunteers' take longer to react to, and deliver patches than others? While I understand your point of view, there is absolutely nothing that stops the admins of servers from rolling their own patches, updating their own RPMS, from their own repository, and doing their own testing.

Or, you can wait, and be grateful that someone else is doing the hard work, that actually, as a linux system admin - "WE" (and that we includes all the installers of all the linux based distributions), should be doing ourselves. That is the nature of the beast.

I could understand and appreciate issue if all the projects in question where commercially backed entities with proprietary code - but we're all "standing on the shoulders of giants" each time we boot up our CentOS/SL/RHEL/Oracle Linux, (uurrghh!) - I'm just happy that I don't have to do the work myself.

I do appreciate the work and effort that you put in, but i think the bottom line is - If you really want security, either pay for it - or do it yourself! :) Otherwise, you'll have to wait for your distro of choice to get the work done for you.

Just my 2pence