SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:58:44 -0600
Thank you, everyone for helping me with this.  I got many tips both on
the list and off.
I really didn't expect help, so that makes it even better.

So, I now have both goals acoomplished, or at least in the works.

I was able to get Windows to see my drive.

I put the SATA drive on the Promise controller.  I then went into the
promise bios, and configured it to be raid0 with one 1 drive on the
stripe.  Windows liked this and the windows driver was happy.  I hadn't
done this initially because ... well what's the point of stipping across
only one disk.

The windows driver didn't like it when the drive just was sitting there
on the controller, and the driver wouldn't even work when I put the
controller into the Normal IDE mode.

The Via Raid controller had to have 2 SATA drives before it would do
anything.  I couldn't put it into any raid configuration, and there was
no "plain IDE" option.

So now both windows and linux see my disk and all are happy.  I'm
getting around 75M/sec in tests ... well linux tests, but windows seems
to be speedy as well.

I also want to thank people for telling me about slipstreaming windows
xp.  I was originally going to wait until Vista came out.  (I'm only
going to buy it if the amount of free stuff that comes with it is equal
to the amount of the purchase price)  There are several good tutorials
on slipstreaming, and I have already tested and verified that it works.
  I just can't do the re-install until I finish up some other projects.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

Troy

p.s. For the curious, since it was asked.

Motherboard
Asus A8V Deluxe

LSPCI
00:08.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378 (FastTrak
378/SATA 378) (rev 02)
00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
Controller (rev 80)

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
>> Troy Dawson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> My machine currently has 2 regular hard drives.  One of the hard drives
>>> started going bad, so I needed to replace it.
>>> The motherboard does SATA, so I figured I'd get a SATA drive since
>>> they've come down in price.  I got a nice 320 Gig drive from seagate,
>>> put it into the machine and ... windows doesn't see it.
>>> Linux see's it just fine, so I partitioned it in the linux side for
>>> windows because windows often has a hard time with blank drives, but no
>>> luck.
>>> My motherboard has two SATA controllers.  One is VIA, and the other is a
>>> Promise Fasttrack.  I have tried putting the drive on both controllers.
>>>  I've put on the drivers from my motherboard CD.  Still nothing.
>>> The only indication I get that something is on there is the VIA comes
>>> with a RAID confuration program.  It shows the drive, even gives lots of
>>> details, but Windows just won't do anything with it.
>>> Oh, and when the drive was on the promise controller, I tried it doing
>>> RAID and doing the Plain IDE.  Neither worked.
>>> Oh, this is Windows XP, if that's important.
>>> I guess if I can't get it to see the drive, I'll just use the whole
>>> drive for Linux and forget about my Windows.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Troy
>>>
>>> p.s. Yes, this currently is happening to me, I'm not making this up.
>>> p.p.s. No, I don't really expect anybody to really answer this.  I just
>>> couldn't resist sending this considering the number of "it works on
>>> windows why not linux" e-mails we get.
>> Try to create an installation CD with the latest service pack
>> integrated. It is possible that they had added recognition for
>> your/any SATA controller in the latest service pack.
>>
>> If this does not work, you can wait for V*sta in January (for
>> businesses V*sta is available now). Of course you will eat up all
>> your horsepower to minimize/maximize windows, but that is what
>> W*ndows is all about. :-)
>>
>> Also, you can go virtualisation and install Windows under vmware or something.
>>
>> So, in summary what I would do:
>>
>> 1) Integrate the latest service pack in an installation CD, and try
>> installation from this.
>>
>> 2) If this does not work you can wait for V*sta in January, or use
>> virtualisation to install XP, or do not use W*ndows.
>
> So you know, what he's talking about above on point 1 is called
> "slipstreaming" Windows XP. I've done it before and it's straight forward.
> Saves you the trouble of installing XP from original CD's and then taking the
> next n days and n reboots to update it to current patch levels.
>
> Even current levels still need patching :)
>
> Michael.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468