SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:03:16 +0200
Hello,

On Apr 1, 2013, at 18:32 , Chris Howe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was running SL6.1 OK but now the display no longer works - On boot
> the top half of the display is readable but the bottom half is
> rectangles of black and the screen.  The mouse won't move into the
> lower half of the screen and produces a trail of black behind it.  If
> I login the menus at the top are accessible but in half the width that
> they should be.
> I know that the monitor is OK as I use a KVM switch for another
> computer - I have also connected the monitor directly to the PC with
> no improvement.

it could be another driver for older video chips that got broken with the recent X11 update. It happened to the nv driver as well, at least for NVS 280 cards.

I'm working around it by using the vesa driver instead. In your case, removing the xorg.conf and the xorg-x11-drv-savage package should do.

-- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
DESY - DV -