SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:54:17 +0000
On 16/03/11 20:02, Wil Irwin wrote:
> Hi Phil-
>
> I VERY much appreciate your suggestion and help. Sadly, these repo options
> didn't solve my problem.

Hmm :-(

> "Everything" installed correctly (i.e., without error and a clean install
> report). However, I was unable to make any changes using the SL default
> 'display' GUI.
>
> I noted that elsewhere in the repo documentation (which I hastily ignored
> due to the excitement over your solution), the HD 5970 series was not
> included in the list of supported devices.

I'm really unsure which models are supported by which driver - I can't
seem to find this information in the ATI documentation. The list of
supported devices in the elrepo.org documentation is for the older
legacy driver, not the current release.

All I can tell you is that when I go to the ATI driver download page,
and enter your device, it says the current (11.2) driver supports your
card. I have no idea when support was added. Most documentation only
states that current cards are supported by the current driver.

> Am I missing something completely? I do have experience with Linux
> installations (not an expert by any means). And, specifically, have fought
> with display adaptor installations endlessly. Probably one of the most
> frustrating aspect of getting a new system up and running.
>
> Thanks again for any further guidance you can provide.

I'm not an ATI user so it's difficult for me to offer much in the way of
informed advice. Do you see any errors in your Xorg logs or anything
else useful to go on?

Reading back through the thread, about the only thing I can think to
check is regarding your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. By default, SL6 doesn't
have an xorg.conf file. The elrepo.org packages will create a suitable
xorg.conf file during the installation of the drivers. If you've already
created one then the elrepo.org package will try to use that but if it's
broken then it's not going to work. Thus I would suggest uninstalling
the elrepo.org packages, make sure you (backup if necessary, and) delete
/etc/X11/xorg.conf if it still exists and then reinstall the packages.
Just a guess really.