SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:44:37 +0200
On 07/02/2013 07:01 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> There is an open source application that appears to compete with GIMP
> plus plugins for handling digital camera images.  The package is called
> darktable,

> http://www.darktable.org/about/
>
> The claim is that it will install under SL6, preferably X86-64
> RHEL 6 / SL 6 / Centos 6, using the following sequence:
>
>          install the linuxtech.repo config file if you don't have it
> already:
>
> su - root
> cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
> wget http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/linuxtech.repo
>
>          install darktable:
>
> yum --enablerepo=linuxtech-testing install darktable
>
> Does anyone have experience with either this application

I had a look at it, in particular its photo-management aspects. I don't
think it is meant to replace gimp, it rather complements it.
Unfortunately it seems that the keyword feature does not yet work too
well, and that was the show-stopper for me. For cataloguing and applying
simple corrections it might be fine.

> or the
> linuxtech repository?

I have no experience with it.