SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Billy Crook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Billy Crook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:46:42 -0600
Your most reliable bet is going to be multiple 7.5 (because why push
it) TB filesystems, and symlinks.  Ext3 is 'stuck' at 8TB because many
of the tools can't handle anything larger.  Some tools can, but not
the normal ones as you have discovered.

Second choice would be XFS.  When it's *significantly more reliable*
than ext3, and has *absolutely no quirks*, then I'll consider it as a
first choice.

There's a fuse module someone in our local LUG uses to merge multiple
sub-8-tb filesystems together virtually called mhddfs.  I haven't
tried it myself yet.  See http://svn.uvw.ru/mhddfs/trunk/README