SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:58:57 +0800
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Adam Timol wrote:
>>>  I'd like to make a dual boot linux/XP machine, given I have just the
>>> one
>>>  HDD in my computer, what is the ideal partitioning configuration I
>>> should
>>>  make when installing the first OS (winXP)?
>>>
>>>  set up:4Gigs RAM, 64bit AMD, 80G HDD, Saphire 2600XT
>>>
>>>  Adam
>>>

>> Hi Adam,
>> That is a difficult question to ask other people, because it all
>> depends on what you want, and on your personal preferences.  But,
>> here's my 2 cents worth.
>>
>> I only give 2Gig for swap.  This is because if you've got something
>> that has used all 4 Gig of your memeory, and then 2 Gig of swap, you
>> have problems.
>>
>> I like to just give all my linux disk to /.  I don't make a /home
>> paritition. That is just a personal preference.  I prefer to save any
>> data off, then wipe my home area when I do a fresh install.  But I
>> understand reason's for having a /home partition.
>>
>> ** Personally, I would want a partition that both Windows and Linux
>> can write to without problem, and then an equal size for both windows
>> and linux.  So, this is what I would do on my machine.
>> hda1 - Windows partition - 34 Gig
>> hda2 - Dos partition - 10 Gig
>> hda3 - Extended Partition
>> hda5 - / (linux root partition) - 34 Gig
>> hda6 - linux swap partition - 2 Gig
>
> With recent systems pushing LVM you can (fairly easily) resize things on

_I_ can quite easily resize NTFS and ext2/3 partitions. ntfsprogs do the
former, and resize2fs the latter. fdisk does most of my partitioning.

_Moving_ partition boundaries, and moving partition contents is painful
and I prefer to install a new disk when that,s necessary, and copy
everything to that.

I doubt whether LVM makes any of that easier. I _think_ that LVM shines
when you want to extend a filesystem over two or more volumes, but I've
never wanted to do that.

_I_ decide what I want to give Windows, and resize the NTFS filesystem
and partition (very carefully) to that, then give the rest to Linux.

Mostly, I am happy putting all of Linux into a single partition, and
unless it's needed for hibernation (a question I've not resolved yet) I
see no advantage to a swap partition over a swap file, and often don't
have a need for swap of any kind.

> the fly.  Ignoring the windows/dos parts you need one partition for
> /boot and another for a PV covering the rest of the disk.  So that would
> result in something like:
>
> hda1 - windows 34 g
> hda2 - dos shared (vfat) - 10 g
> hda3 - /boot (100-200M)
> hda4 - PV (rest of disk)

I appreciate that on servers with lots of disks, the answers are all
different, but _this_ system has one disk, so far as I can see.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait